Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hip Hop HOORAY for LA!


Hip,,Hop,,,Hooray for LA? 

What's so hip-hop-hooray-amazing you ask and who is this blogging on Caroline's blog - I know....insane huh?  A good insane though...and the amazing is…Life in LA…that’s what -  and you know, every day I am more and more thrilled I am here…This town is awesome...I am so glad I pushed through the tough times and have finally begun to smile…every day…Hallajuah!  

I think the best part about being here is I am still here.  Trust me, there were many times, more than I care to count, as I am sure you all know too well, I was ready to give up and go back to Houston...But for whatever reason - sheer insanity, ruthless perseverance or silly pride - whatever you want to call it, I sucked it up...Couch surfed, flirted with becoming homeless, swallowed my pride and shared the blackest depths of this journey for all the world to see, because it's real and it's possible.  It's scary as hell, but when the good happens, it's good.  So good it's intoxicating. 

And my God, it feels great to still be here...I have come full circle and appreciate the tiniest of things...my own bed...my own coffee maker...my own rooftop deck to sip a glass of wine on and breath...and I cherish the support, prayers and love...and on occasion, the tough love (my Mom for example....I told her at one point I was done and wanted to come home, she said, "ok - come on.....but in all honesty, I never would have thought you'd give up this easily."  My baby brother via text, "Well, one of the hardest steps is over. Just going is a huge accomplishment. We are all really proud. It doesn't get easier from here, so work hard, rely on your talents, and follow you passion. Don't come home with out a sitcom or movie deal. You will do fine." Yeah,,,, tough love...)

I believe the first hurdle is over...Now it's time to get down to business and never lose hope or say I am going back.  I am not.  I got this.  I know it...I will never forget these past 4 months.  They have made me a better, stronger person and it will show in my life and my work...I will never forget why I am here or lose who I am. 

Ah..here comes some more awesome...So last weekend, I went to this killer party at Diamond Supply Co. on Fairfax, just north of Beverly in West Hollywood. 

Let me set the scene…
My friend and I earlier in the day head out to the Grammy museum (I know, I had no idea either) because I had read in the LA Weekly they had this entire history of hip hop exhibit and my friend, being from Brooklyn and down with hip hop, and I, decided to check it out.   Let me tell you what, I now know what the One/Two’s are, saw Eminem and Tupac’s hand written lyrics, what MC actually means (Master of Ceremonies, not Emcee like I thought...), “peeped” the Hip-Hop-umentary on the Beastie Boys….AND walked away with a cherry bracelet made of guitar strings! 

Yeah, it was beyond fun. 

So after the museum he mentions a hip hop party we should check out…I was like, well, let’s go get a drink (right????) and think about it…I was pretty hip-hopped out and wasn’t really feeling it….We decided on a cool little dive bar near where the party was and he was like, "we really should check out this deal at Diamond Supply Co. after this drink."

My ears perk up, “Did you say Diamonds?  Diamond Supply???”

I am so down with Diamonds, all things bling, I was like – YES!  Let’s go.  Why didn’t you say so!  You know, best friends and all…how could I say no to that…

Well…..There were tons of diamonds at this joint, but none for sale, it's actually a skate board/skate apparel - all things cool shop.....but diamonds indeed were in full force - all dripping off the people that were enjoying the open bar, chatting it up and getting down with the beats being pumped out by THE DJ from Cypress Hill (I KNOW!) and he is THE DJ from Soul Assassins (I DON’T KNOW, BUT HE WAS AWESOME!)

 DJ MUGGS!!

It was, by far, one of the best nights yet in LA…Unexpected goodness.

Unexpected is awesome…That’s what this city is all about and I am madly in love!


I did, I must admit, feel a tiny bit out of place since I am without tattoos, piercings or magical Nike sneakers….

And it didn’t help my friend said I was dressed “way too business casual” for the event…but whatever, I had a blast, met a ton of awesome new friends and, I did get some dope orange and silver kicks the very next day…(and just by the way, I have already had some OG's tell me how fly they are...)




How’s that for business casual son!!



Until next post,
Caroline


1 comment:

  1. Your brother is right! Get Up, Show Up AND STAY...STAY even when the "staying" gets tough!! Keep staying Caroline! Keep staying Caroline!

    xoxo
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete