Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mad-cap re-cap, Part II



ANNOUNCER: When we last left, our heroine was leaving her class at Second City.....

I was super excited because today I was going to see a long lost friend from Houston, Rebecca.  It had been eight years since we last saw each other and at first, I wasn’t sure it was going to happen. 
I had sent her some emails and messages on Facebook letting her  know I was moving to LA and wanted to hook up with her….No responses.  I double check her email address and make sure my attempts to contact her went through, yeup…so why no word?  Well finally I hear back, she has a kido and a hubby and life, she was extremely apologetic… We e-mailed and chatted a few times once I got to LA and then we made plans to hook-up after my class.

While we were super close when we both lived in Houston, our lives took us in dynamically different directions... Marriages, divorce, children, careers....life essentially happened, to us both.  But, as cliché as it sounds, when I saw her, it was awesome, like no time had passed (save a few gray hairs and a mini-van).  I was, all of the sudden, home.  There is something about reconnecting with a friend when you're in a new place, that actually softens your surroundings and let's you know that no matter where you are or what you do, it's the people you have in your life that makes it special.  Rebecca moved out to LA weeks after getting married and landed in the shadows of LAX, in the sleepy little town of El Segundo, just South of Santa Monica and Venice.  And that's where we were headed.

So I hopped into her mini-van, she has a kid now, so it makes sense, and we headed to the beach.  After hours of talking and catching up, the sun starts to set...my first sunset in LA,,,,, with an old friend.  

As the sun was dropping, dolphins were jumping and the day was fading off of us,,, I was so thankful for being able to be in the moment.  When doing improv, you have to be in the moment, meaning..not thinking about what happened previously or what's going to happen later on, but the here and now. 
It’s truly a simple thought isn't it, yet not one we often live-by.
If this were a scripted afternoon, I don't think it could have been written any better.  

Friends, although some come and go, the ones you treasure and don't give up on, are in your life for a reason.  They will always be there and have faith they will embrace the reconnection….even when they are thousands of miles away. 

Until next post - 
Caroline

1 comment: